Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hey, all,

My new adventure in blogging will be to keep in touch with all of you while I am away. If I have enough fun, I may even continue when I get back to life in EC. I don't know how much internet access I will have while I am gone but I will try to post when possible.

The basic itinerary is as follows:

Mon., Feb. 9th 5:35 a.m. depart Minneapolis for Houston on Continental #2017 and then depart Houston at 9:30 a.m for Tegucigalpa,"Teguz", the capital of Honduras. My travelling partners will be Judy Stocker and Britta Bloomberg, long time college friends from Mpls. We will be met by my college roommate, Dr. Pamela Hanson, aka "P", who will be our local hostess and tour guide for the first 2 weeks of our vacation.

After 3 days/nights in Teguz we will depart via bus to Copan Ruinas.
http://sidewalkmystic.com/CopanRuinas.htm

which is an historic town near the Guatemalan border with lots of Mayan ruins and other things to enjoy. Accommodations for 3 nights will be at the Casa de Cafe
http://www.casadecafecopan.com
which came recommended by guide books and guests can enjoy fresh brewed Honduran coffee all day! Sounds just like my kind of place.

After 3 nights in Copan Ruinas we will head by bus to San Pedro Sula and then Ceiba on the coast where we will take the ferry to Roatan Island. Our local tour guide and taxi driver, Enrique, will meet us at the ferry and bring us to our Roatan Island accommodations for the next 8 nights. Check out where we will be staying:
http://www.roatanbeachfront.com/Vacation_Rentals/index.html
in the first one: the Gardner's Cabana. Really looks fabulous with the beach out the front door and the pool out the back door!

Then Britta heads home to Minneapolis and Pam heads back to her work in Teguz and Maria and Judy will stay on in Roatan as volunteers for the PIER (Partners In Education Roatan)
http://www.volunteerabroad.com/listingsp3.cfm/listing/45499

organization teaching English and doing whatever else they want us to do for 2 more weeks. Then back home on March 9th to see what is left of winter in Wisconsin.

Stay posted to see how the Big Adventure turns out!

2 comments:

  1. OK, Maria, we're on board to follow. I don't know what that means, but we will be following your reports as you post them. And this will be good learning/practice for me on the world of personal blogging. Love, Uncle FloridaJack. (I decided that using a nom-de-Web looks like I'm more Web savy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to UWEC last night to see the Hubbard Street Dancers and my ADD brain jumped to you and your experience at Macalister (everyone kept their clothes on however) and reminded me that I wanted to check your blog today.
    So far so good! Sounds like a great adventure.
    Keep posting! Peace.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete